...if you have any questions, queries or would like to write to us for more information about the competition please write to: email@example.com
...for those that have registered you should have the resources pack if you do not have one yet email us with your confirmation email
Frequently Asked Question's
1. Which countries get reduced fees,(what countries are classified as developing countries in the competition?)
Individuals residing and working/studying in one of the World Bank's lower middle or low-income countries get a special registration rate.
Afghanistan, Armenia, Bangladesh, Benin,
Burkina Faso, Burundi,
Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Dem. Rep), Congo (Rep.), Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt (Arab Rep.), Eritrea, Ethiopia, El Salvador, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bisau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, India, Kenya, Korea (Dem Rep.), Kiribati, Kyrgyz Republic, Kosovo, Lao (PDR), Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Micronesia (Fed. Sts.), Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Philippines, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Togo, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen (Rep.), Zambia, Zimbabwe.
2. Is it just the addition of 2 more classrooms or the renovation of the existing building is also expected?
We are not looking at the renovation work to the existing school as part of this project that is part of another country wide scheme funded by GIZ. The design challenge is to increase capacity and should include no less than the creation of 2 new classrooms a small multi-functional space that can be used for physical exercise when it is too cold to go outside and two toilets.
3. My understanding is that the brief is for two classrooms and some some toilets - it is not clear for example, how many students are in a classroom, if the project includes the existing building, how assessment criteria such as gym spaces are to be designed?
The brief is to design a building or extension that includes 2 classrooms, a small gym space/hall and 2 toilets. This will help to reduce the overcrowding in the primary school which currently serves approx. 500 children in 8 classrooms.
4. Is there a plan of the existing building(s) in case we want to make our proposal into an extension? Do you also have floor plans of the existing school?
Please see PDF for outline plan of existing school internal layout. We are trying to get a more detailed survey of the building to share with those wishing to design the extension option:
5. How exact are the two specified possible locations (site A & B), and is it possible to propose another different placement for the building?
The locations given are suggestions from the school committee from consultation sessions. If you would like to suggest another location please feel free to do so, but please give reasons for your proposed siting.
6. Do you have any numbers for the school area? How many square meters should it be? We saw it is for 100 kids, but maybe you could specify even more?
The guidance from the school board, Local Governor and NGO partners is for the following:
Small Physical education room: 12mx6m (72m2)
2xClassrooms: 7.5mx6m (90m2)
& some circulation space.
(Please note these are suggestions you are welcome to stick with them or offer alternative solutions. We are also looking to phase the construction and proposals that allow for a phased construction may be marked higher due to the greater flexibility offered to government and NGO partners in delivery at this school and potentially for others in the region.)
7. Is there any given size or volume for the new school building, maybe from client side? Do I need to use ground floor size as given as marked blue-green color in two possible locations map, or it is possible to define the size (free to define ground floor size/shape based on our concept, local building code requirements etc., within the plot area given in cadastral map showing school land boundary) by ourselves?
See guidance above. You may propose any solution within the boundary of the school's land with explanation for your decisions.
8. Is there any given requirements for the school levels, maybe from client side? Because, which educational stage at school is also important factor to design school facilities. I have collected following design input from your email as well as the Competition Brief file from the web. The design input information as follows: 2 classroom, 2 toilets, multifunctional space and school for 100 pupils. I understand that main consideration is CLIMATE and SCHOOL, however, I guess that above mentioned information is also important for the design.
The school caters to children of primary age: 6-11 year olds
9. I have a few queries - we are to design a school for 100 kids, how many teachers, classrooms, is it just primary school ; in that case 20 kids in a class with one class teacher and perhaps two auxiliary teachers per class?
We are relying on the existing building to provide office and administration space for staff/teachers. The school currently has two education sessions; one in the morning and one in the afternoon. The 2 new classrooms will therefore provide for approx 50 students in the morning school and 50 students in the afternoon school. (25 students/classroom)
10. We are not clear of the site measurements and units. The drawing you provided us with is not to scale, or units ain't very clear.
The DWG plan in the resource pack should be in mm's and to scale.
11. Is there electricity available?
12. Is there any sewage system on site?
13. Is there approximate budget for the project? We are aware this is a low-budget project nevertheless it would be helpful to understand the budget limits (preferable, possible) and choose the realistic direction of building structure design.
We currently estaimte that we will have approx. $60,000 for the construction.
14. What kind of activities do they engage with during PE?
A range of team based sports and indiviual gym activities for primary grade students.
15. Do you have more specific information about the climate? From the brief we know it varies between -45 and +20 degrees celsius. What is the maximum day en night temperature in Summer? What is minimum day and night temp in Winter? Is there a rain season, when is it and what is the amount of rain expected. How much snow in Winter will there fall in cm? How many sun hours per year for this location?
An online search should help, try the BBC or World Weather Online
16. Is the focus only on the new building (extension) or should we also come up with a (landscaping) design for the whole terrain of the school?
The focus is on the new school facility but you will not be marked down for proposing a wider regeneration plan.
17. How is the existing school heated?
It has a soviet era heating system. Information on work GIZ are doing to improve heating in shcools in the region can be found here
18. Does building have to accomodate disabled chidlren (additional wheelchair space)?
19. Is there information of the actual height of the existing building? And if we will design the new building as an extension to the old one on site A, then which part/point on the old building is connectible to the new one?
We are awaiting conformation on the exact height but it is estimated to be 4.8m tall. It is envisaged that a connection with the corridor would be made and a connection created with the existing wall.
20. In the case we design the new building which stands alone on site B, considering the occupants inside the existing building would like to use the toilet facilities from the new building without experiencing harsh environment outside, would it be preferable to design a linking passage as well?
This is up to you?
21. What is the the outhouse kind of thing near the recommended site 1? Can it be demolished?
We believe thes are outside toilets but again we are waiting confirmation on if they can be relocated.
22. Also the other structures near recommended site 1. Can they be demolished?
The round building on the plan is a ger (Yurt) which can be moved if needed.
23. Is the wall of the existing building a load bearing wall?
Yes. Any added extensions will need to place a lintel in the wall and potentially add support but it is enough to state that this is the intention without going into too much detail (as we dont have the structural drawings for the existing building to allow participants to do this.)
24. is it possible to have a wind path in Khovd? or any related information?
We dont have access to a wind path but you may find some useful infomration here:
25. Towards the Northwest of the existing school building the are a square and a round shape in the plans. What are they? Can they be demolished?
Please see 21 & 22
26. On the west of the existing school building is another building which looks pretty run down on the photos. What is it for? Can it be demolished? Can it be integrated in the project?
It is up to each participant to make their own design submission but please do consider the small budget for the project and demolition of parts of what is already an over crowded school may not be a cost effective solution.
27. Can you please give us an idea of the ground floor structure of the existing school building. This will be very important if we are planning an extension.
We have been notified by the team on the ground that the existing building fabric is made from adobe bricks
28. The budget 60,000 is this only the construction or is interiors and facilities included ?
The budget is for construction
29. Do they have clean water from the pipes or is this from rainwater then we should have a tank for water ? What is the water resources in here? And as you mentioned there is a place for water treatment can you tell more about the location that also effect the design.
The school is connected to mains water supply.
30. How about the height for Physical Education room ? Should they be higher than normal classes or just same same? And please detail how tall the buildings are.
Existing buildings are approx 4.8m tall. We leave it to each designer to design the space according to their own proposal.
It is up to participants to research into the materials that would be most suitable for the build. We suggest you carry out a google search and research materials used to build existing structures in Mongolia and in other cold climate countries.
Terms and Conditions for Competitions run and administered by Building Trust international. See more...
Terms and conditions for the website..